Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Awesome Toy Convention 2012

For many years, I’ve wanted to go to a ToyCon. But unfortunately because of different factors like a six days working schedule, heavy traffic, laziness, and many other made up reasons I wasn’t able to go at least once. Yup, that was a sad fact for me who was always a fan of cartoons(be it from anime, Marvel, DC or Disney).



For starters, Toy Convention aka ToyCon is like the holy grail for collectors, hobbyist or fans of cartoons, movies and comics. It showcases the widest range of action figures, toys, souvenirs, cards, comics that you can’t see every day.



This year I promised to myself that I really need go because I have plenty of time to burn and a lot of my friends are coming to. Yes, a friend of mine is a fanatic of cosplays that when he heard the Alodia and Ashley Gosiengfiao is coming he’s almost like he’s dragging us just to attend the convention.

We've agreed to meet up Saturday (June 16, 2012) at the front of the Megatrade Hall of SM Megamall and as always they were kind of late so my girlfriend and I decided to enter the Hall to kill some time and explore what ToyCon 2012 has to offer. The entrance fee was Php 100 and its worth it because we were overwhelmed by the number of merchants, fans, collectors and cosplayers.




I really like these Goku(s) for display but they're quite expensive. They're priced at Php 750 each. I'm hoping that the seller will let me haggle a little.


I thought I'm gonna buy these Mario and Luigi but I'm short of cash. For 80s gamer like me, Mario Bros video games are huge at that time. I think this is a cool collectors item and they're price at Php 1,200 if you will buy the three of them (Mario, Luigi and Yoshi) but they are priced at Php 500 if bought seperately. Certainly, I will surely buy them next year if ever I've seen one.


One of the booths that caught my attention is this booth from chiseltown. The sculptures/models that they made is really cool and lifelike.


For the superman fans out there, this one is for you.



Before different characters from marvel and DC comics became popular because of their movies, the comic version comes first. As for me I really like this type of comics (especially the vintage ones) because not only they appreciate in price but they're also also cool collector's items.



Internet memes are popular nowadays because of websites like 9gag.com and in my opinion t-shirts like these are the next big thing.



The coolest Bad Ass Joker portrayed by Heath Ledger in the film Batman - The Dark Knight (2008).



I remember when my friends tagged me a photo from the making of the Iron Man 3 movie. Anyway, the suits are still very cool though.



This is me wearing the Iron Man mask. I insist in putting it on for the camera although its quite hard to fit. When I tried to removing it I quite panicked because it won't budge. Luckily, I was able to removed it but my ears hurt.


Yup, it's the iconic Storm Trooper from Star Wars.


During the late afternoon, we watched the cosplay event. We're able to see the cosplay goddesses Ashley and Alodia Gosiengfiao. I'm sorry it's quite blurry but it's really hard to get a good shot because of all the fans raising their cameras.



And here is this year's cosplay winner for the anime category Mr.Satan aka Master Pogi (dubbed in the Philippines)showing his own version of gin that he calls "Gin Pogi".






Anyway, I really have enjoyed this years ToyCon and I'm really looking forward to next year. I guess I need to save more money for that. 

Sorry for the long article, below are two beautiful models from Rockstar energy drink :).



1 comments:

  1. I attend Toycon and other events related to it but I'm not really a fan of toys. i go for the cosplay events and just to look around. :)

    ReplyDelete